Welcome to Never2Old4 Dolls!! This blog is intended to be a gathering place for doll lovers of all ages. Interested in connecting with other doll lovers? Head to the "Interviews" page to read some great interviews with doll lovers, doll artists, and doll collectors from all around the world. Do dolls inspire you to channel your inner creative goddess? Click on the "Tutorials" page to find how-to instructions for all kinds of things to make for your dolly friends. Want some recommendations for great books featuring dolls? Go to the "Dolls in Literature" page for reviews and links. Want to check out all the great doll-related info and products available online? Head to the "Links and Resources" page. Sit back, relax, grab your favorite little gal (or guy), and get ready to be inspired.

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Dolly Memories: Shirley Temple Doll

Picture  Source

I had this exact Shirley Temple doll when I was a little girl.  It was one of those things where I think my mom had maybe seen some of Shirley Temple's movies when she was little and then they came out with the doll and she bought it for me.  I don't actually remember seeing any Shirley Temple movies.  I do remember that we had a record or something that had Shirley Temple singing some songs that I listened to.  I think my mom tried to help me make a meaningful connection to the doll and the actual person.  Anyway, I can remember that two of my favorite songs were called "On the Good Ship Lollipop" and "Lions and Tigers in my Soup" (or something, that's probably not the right name).  Amazing that I can still recall the exact tune of each of those songs and in my mind's ear (it has an eye, why not an ear?  right?) I can hear the words in her little voice.  The power of memory is uncanny.

It's funny how thinking about these childhood dolls does bring back such a flood of memories.   I honestly haven't thought a whole lot about this doll for decades.  I don't know for sure if we still have her.  She may be in a box in my mom's basement. Even so, I'm able to recall quite a few specific memories about her.  I surprised myself by remembering the songs and the record.  That just popped into my head while I was typing the above paragraph.

I also remember that Shirley's curls must have been treated with MASSIVE amounts of Aqua Net or something.  They were quite rigid.  There was no way you were going to give that girl a different hairstyle without pulling out some power tools.  The good thing about this is that I'm pretty sure if we do find my original doll in Mom's basement someday, her hair will still look pretty good!!  

I also really remember liking her dress a lot.  The red polka dots were velvety and soft and the skirt was very stiff.  I liked her socks and red shoes, but a vivid memory I have is that the socks were pretty hard to get back on the right way if they came off.  I wonder if my Shirley still has her shoes and socks.  I may have to do some digging at Mom's soon.  I will for sure post a photo if I find her.

Did anyone else have this doll?  Or another version of Shirley?  I'd love to hear from you and see photos if you have them.



No comments:

Post a Comment